The current spate of rescues due to engine failure continues for the volunteer crew of Eastbourne lifeboat.The current spate of rescues due to engine failure continues for the volunteer crew of Eastbourne lifeboat.
Over the weekend Eastbourne’s all-weather lifeboat (ALB) was requested by HM Coastguard to assist with three vessels that had suffered some form of mechanical failure. During last week the ALB responded to two other calls for assistance from boats with engine failure.
With the volunteer crew entering what is traditionally their busiest period Terry Colbran, Eastbourne Lifeboat Community Safety Officer, has urged all boaters to ensure their vessel is adequately maintained and to remember the RNLI’s top tips before going to sea, namely –
• Always wear a life Jacket.
• Check all the engine and fuel levels
• Always tell someone where you are intending to go
• Carry some means of calling for help in the event of a situation arising
• Check the weather and tides before leaving